Role: Manager of Quality Control (QC)/Web Developer/UI/UX
Client: Steve Crayne, Development Director/Partner
Date: October 24, 2022 – Current
The first section lists my top clients, other clients, and their corresponding websites. The second section lists specific pages I worked on in collaborative projects with my supervisor. The third section shows testimonies. Followed by details about the job (Problems, Skills, Solution, Steps to Solve/tools).
However, if you are in a hurry, no problem! Below, view my best work and projects.
If you would like to read on and explore this page, feel free to! Steve trusts me to discuss any site edits with high-profile clients on a daily basis. I daily collaborate with Steve on everything from grammar and content edits to full website migrations. Since October 2022, I’ve worked with 37 clients. The extent of each project depends on the client’s goal, their needs, and whether or not they already have a full or partial website. I usually work on 3 sites/projects simultaneously (tasks ranging from site designs to communicating with clients directly in meetings and indirectly through emails to quality control). In May of ’23, I created a program management system with Google Sheets. Steve uses this as our main project management system for the company. Also, I create and design QR codes on request.
As part of the web design and development process, I communicate directly with clients & research Shutterstock to find images and create albums on Shutterstock that reflect their services (total of 19 albums-for 12 clients and 3 general website pages: Services, Reviews, FAQs).
As part of Quality Control, I complete the following responsibilities (note that this is a summarized list and does not include each individual task):
- Compare the finished site to their Client Intake Form-a list of questions regarding the clients’ goals for the site. Steve created the form before I was hired on as a freelancer. I transferred it to Google Forms, addressed branding with company colors and logo. Steve uses this form regularly with new clients.
- Design the mobile of the website (and the Quick Action bar in Wix) and ensure the mobile design aligns with the desktop design
- Ensure all navigational features (buttons, links, documents, etc.) guide the user to the right places
- Design all email subscriber messages with text, fonts, buttons and colors to align with content, marketing and branding
- Grammar and spell-check each page
Top Clients-click on the client name to view website
- Fenway Foundation for Friesian Horses
- Oyster Festival (site in progress)
- Stephanie Lynn Yoga
- E-scolastica Press
- CSR/Expertise in Results
- Bridge Forward-Designing 13 testimonial slides by example
- On My Way-QC, mobile, and edits (site in progress)
- Collaborated with Steve, programmer, and client (full-team project)
- Set up Wix store with physical products and digital files (price, name, and descriptions from client)
- Addressed accessibility issues through Wix Accessibility Wizard and added alternative text to main images
- Quality Control
- Homepage and various wording and placement edits
- Mobile Design
- Embed quiz from Google Forms
- Escolastica Author-design and QC (site in progress)
- Collaborated with client
- Designed book page only
- HOBAW (House of Braids and Wigs)-Contact form and adding Shutterstock pictures to Wix Services (site in progress)
- Nelson & Associates-1-page site; site in progress
- Truly Honored-collaborative project with Steve
- Skyrock Advisors-collaborative project with Steve and client
- Carr Medical Consultant-see Pages for more information
- C.A.L.P.– Suggest and implement edit suggestions; main site design by Steve
- Dominion-collaborative project with Steve
- Shelter Connection-Quality Control and mobile only
- Your Family Table-added pictures to gallery
- RTP Signs– Once-a-month updates starting in October; add pictures of re-designed signs to appropriate slideshow/webpage & communicate with clients directly through email
- Eclectic Designs-QC and edits only; communicate with client directly through email
Other Valuable Clients
- York’s Resort- QC and mobile design only
- Dab Dance Studio- mobile design only
- Connie B. Coaching-edits only
- RTP Signs-monthly updates only
- Traveling Companion-QC and mobile design only
- Caribbean Escapes
- Projects 2 Fruition (P2F)- see Pages for more information
- About Us page-replaced Career Highlights picture & designed Corporative Overview section
- Projects and Transactions page -designed pop-up boxes for 4 main projects
- Quality control and collaborated with mobile design
- Based on Steve’s example slide, I designed title, body, and speaker text; kerning, slide design, positioning (varies depending on length of quote).
Projects 2 Fruition
- Collaborated with CEO & Founder on edits via email
- Virtual Executive Support page
- New Business Creation page
- Quality Control (make sure links work, grammar and consistency, add in-page menu for each project)
- Insert pictures, descriptions, and updated word choices
- Added three lines underneath logo and services
- Inserted new photo on the New Business Vision Casting page
CSR/Expertise in Results
- Articles (changing over 40 article titles to Title Case)
- Inserted the new employee’s, Eboni Brown, bio and LinkedIn profile and applied consistent design to the profile picture on the Teams page (https://www.expertiseinresults.com/meet-the-team). Re-ordered and updated the Team page.
- Fast Forward original design
- Recruiting (https://www.expertiseinresults.com/recruiting)
- Lead Technical Conversion by adding two appointment options through Wix Bookings versus the client using a Calendly subscription
Actions for the Fast Forward Page
- Collaborated with Owner & Senior-Level Nonprofit Executive & Consultant on changes
- Various website edits regarding images, removing hover effects, wording
- Linked signup for conference with Google Forms
Carr Medical Consult
- Writing Samples page-converted Microsoft PowerPoint presentations to PDF’s and/or inserted PDF’s
- Applied gradient design suggested by boss
- Quality Control
Hear What My Clients Have to Say
We were so pleased with the website Steve and his team delivered. …Our project was very extensive, as our site had a massive amount of content. ...Working with Steve and his team as we neared the finish line let us take an active role in adjusting the final details to get them exactly the way we wanted them. Communication was rapid and always focused on how Steve and his team could meet our goals. We absolutely recommend Starting Gate Media!! 5 stars!!
Angie DePuydt – Fenway Foundation for Friesian Horses
(emphasis and bold added)
Nov 18, 2022
“Steven Crayne was very upfront with how he could resolve my issues. I appreciate that he made the work plan very clear. Juliana Hawkinson made modifications to my website that were exceptional, extremely professional and intuitive. I cannot say enough good things about her expertise. I thank both of these people and highly recommend them to anyone looking for help with their website.
(emphasis and bold added)
Problem, Skills, Solution
- Former web developer resigned
- Short supply of developers. Only company owner, Steve Crayne, as main designer on all of his clients’ websites-over 15 current or in-progress clients and running his business
- Wix 2022- web development/designer software (mobile, tablet, and laptop designs)-hard skill
- Wix Accessibility Wizard-hard skill
- Wix Logo Maker-hard skill
- QR Code Monkey-QR code maker-hard skill
- Microsoft Outlook 2016-hard skill; communications
- Teamwork-project management
- Web Development and Design-soft skills
- Usability-soft skill
- QR code design-soft skill
- Develop webpages based on clients’ requests-features, designs, and methods vary based on the clients
- Examples of features:
- Headings (levels 1-2)
- Body text
- Icons; logos
- Linked text
- Examples of features:
Steps to Solve & Reflection
Steps to Solve/Tools
- Personally meet with clients over Zoom and/or discuss web edits with Steve
- Take meeting notes using personally-designed outline. Steve requested copy of outline.
- Design home page from Steve’s past clients’ websites templates.
- Meet with client to discuss homepage design. Apply edits until homepage approved.
- Once homepage approved, create the other webpages. Number of homepages designed before secondary meeting depend on site complexity.
- Review website using Steve’s quality control checklist, including running the Wix Accessibility Wizard, which addresses any and all accessibility issues including, but not limited to, Alternative Text for Pictures, Contrast, and Header Definition.
- Launch website (soft or hard launch, depending on clients’ needs).
- Updating websites as needed. I designed some of these websites, but most of them come from Steve’s past clients who want anything from additional pictures to fully-designed pages from scratch. For the latter, I meet with the clients virtually and communicate through emails. We will discuss designs and mock-ups. I create webpages during the meeting or after discussing the design. We meet and discuss the design before I complete a Quality Control on the entire website (both desktop and mobile versions).
I love going to work everyday. My experience with the Nine (see Nine, LLC. tab in the menu) helped me to succeed in this role now because I communicate with clients directly and indirectly. Also, website edits are fun to me because I apply my continuing knowledge of web development, usability, WordPress (for site migrations) and growing knowledge of Wix.
As Director of QC, any and all edits relating to web design, usability and accessibility depend on me. Although this can be intimidating at times, I value the opportunity to demonstrate my academic and professional web design skills as a I communicate with clients and learn from my boss on how to succeed in the web design and development field.